2846B Receiver


Frequency Range: 100 to 500 KHz
Use: Commercial marine receiver
Circa: 1922?

This version of the 2846B is held by the Hammond Radio Museum. Download the image to enlarge it.  (Image via Lewis Bodkin) 
This is an unmodified version of the 2846B. In the upper right corner there are four switch selectable carborundom crystals. Switching the crystals was done by rotating the pressure point arm to the desired position. The lower right corner has a spark gap attached to the receiver input. Its purpose was to protect the receiver from static chrges which could build up as a result of wind gusts blowing across the antenna wire. This would more the case if the 2856 was fitted aboard a ship. 

Just to the left and below the placard is an automotive type, pull switch. Note the differences in the binding posts between this receiver and the one below. 

The front panel was made from a material which was called " Hard Rubber" in the trade. Due to the type of materials used in the fabrication of the front panel, discolouration is in evidence over time. Exposure to light makes the panel turn from black to brown from oxidation.  The shade of brown that it becomes is proportional to the length of time the receiver has been exposed to light. There is evidence of this in the photo. (Photo  by  Lewis Bodkin) 

/2848_03 nameplate.jpg
Nameplate . (Photo  by  Lewis Bodkin) 

2846 receiver.  This receiver has been modified. Some of these old sets had a "Cryst off"," cryst  on" and "buzzer on". functions. The primary purpose of the buzzer was to test the continuity of the carborundom crystal detectors.  (Photo via the former Le Musée Québecois de la Radio) 
2846B nameplate. (Photo via Le Musée Québecois de la Radio) 

2846B top view. (Photo by André Kirouac) 

2846B rear view. (Photo via Le Musée Québecois de la Radio) 

Contributors and Credits:

1)  Le Musée Québecois de la Radio - Jacques Hamel, VE2DJQ
2)  Lewis Bodkin  <05bodkin555(at)gmail,com>
3) Handbook of Technical Instruction for Wireless Telegraphists by J.C. Hawkhead  1925

Back to Equipment Listing

Jan 28.18