ELECTRONICS MAINTENANCE ROOM
LOCATION : Lower deck, port side, just forward of the break in the foc'sle.
YEAR OF INSTALLATION : The drawing release date is 28-5-1958.
CREW COMPLEMENT :
Circa 1959 - One C1RT, one P2RT and one LSRT confirmed.
Circa Jan 1962 - One Chief, one P1LT and two AB LT's, one of whom was an on-the-job trainee as noted by Fred Jardine.
PURPOSE OF THIS ROOM : Here, technicians would perform assorted repairs on some of the ship's electronic equipment. The only maintenance that would be done in the EMR would be on pieces of self -contained equipment that could be be flashed up in that location and were light enough to carry there. The compartment also housed the ship's IFF equipment and Sound Reproduction Equipment (SRE).
The RT's (Electronic Technicians) were only responsible for surveillance/navigation radars and communications equipment but this was sufficient to keep a small group very busy. ET's (Electrical Technicians) whose specialty was Sonar were designated ED's. Those whose expertise lay in Gunnery radar were designated EG's. The ET's did not use the EMR, so this would limit the amount and type of test equipment found in the EMR. In a later change, the RT trade was renamed to LT.
Under the 'L' shaped workbench, there are small pallets for storing tool boxes. On HAIDA , there are five positions but only a maximum of four techs have been confirmed. Technicians were issued toolboxes from naval stores along with a complement of tools. Many techs complained about the type of tools they were issued. Items like 20 oz. ball peen hammers, 100W soldering irons and lineman's pliers were more suitable for a sheet metal worker rather than an electronics tech. The navy was still issuing the same tool set well into the 1980's which necessitated that most of techs purchase their own tools which were suitable for working on the gear they were responsible for.
BRCN 4007, Electrical Maintenance Control System, commonly known as the Kalamazoo, had a listing and history of all fitted equipment on the ship. If some test equipment was permanently assigned to the EMR, it would have been recorded here. Since most test equipment was portable, it would have been considered permanent stores and listed in the PIR - Permanent Inventory Record. This binder had each item listed on a separate card and each of which the L Officer had to sign as custodian every six months. Test equipment unique to a particular piece of equipment would usually be listed in the maintenance manual for that equipment. If that test equipment was portable, it's home was in the EMR even if maintenance was done on location.
HAIDA's Mark X Identification, Friend or Foe (IFF) gear also shared this compartment. When in service, the ship was fitted with the AN/UPX-1, AN/UPX-5 and AN/UPX-24 equipment types. Before the EMR was established, the ship's 293 radar occupied the entire compartment.
For reasons unknown to anyone, the 50 watt Admiralty Pattern public address amplifier was moved from its housing in the port passageway and placed unto a small, hand built table between the tall equipment rack and the forward bulkhead.
During installation of the EMR, the very right-most scuttle on the upper row, port side was removed and a plate welded over the hole. This, no doubt, simplified the fabrication process on the interior. This compartment was one of the last to be installed in the ship as evidenced by the three relatively "modern" light fixtures. These fixtures were commonly found on classes of ships which followed HAIDA and do not resemble any other fixtures on the ship. . The workbench itself is fitted with 120 VAC, 220 VDC and 440 VAC outlets for powering up various pieces of equipment under test.
The EMR was restored between mid September 2003 and mid -January 2004 It required approximately 150 hours of labour to get it into its present form.
This is a repair reenactment and perhaps it might have looked like this when the ship was in service. Here a Marconi CSR-5 receiver is under diagnosis. There is no listing of test instruments that were actually used, so everything is a best guess at this time. Hopefully, over time, those who worked in this compartment will see this image and be able to supply some of the missing details. ( Photo by Jerry Proc)
PUBLIC ADDRESS SYSTEMS
HAIDA has four separate Public Address systems fitted. At the heart of each system was a 50 watt, marine type amplifier designated as AP 12522. The AID system incorporated two of the amplifiers. One was the active unit while the other remained in standby. Announcements of a general nature would be made on the AID system.
Another amplifier was used for the Armament Broadcast System (ABS). It provided service for the crew manning the weapons and the Transmitting Station. The Sound Reproduction Equipment (SRE) function had its own amplifier. Lastly, there was one system dedicated to personnel manning the SONAR gear.
The SRE amplifier was positioned on a small bench in the Electronics Maintenance Room. Located on a nearby rack was a Marconi Model 456 entertainment receiver, the output of which could be piped to the amplifier input. As an alternate input, the Hammarlund SP600 receiver in Radio 4 could have been used as an entertainment source or the reel-to-reel tape recorder which was resident in the same space.
When in harbour, the PA system was operated from the brow to disseminate information and orders. At sea, it could originate from several locations. Most common locations were the bridge (aft quarter position) and the wheelhouse.
Dennis Stapelton served in the RCN during the early 1950's. He provides some examples of messages which were announced on the PA system. "The ships PA system was used for wakey wakey, advising certain personnel to report to offices, announcing scheduled events throughout the day such as ‘up spirits’ (at sea), and out lights in the evening. The captain would use it for advisory warnings when going ashore in certain ports to behave properly.
When entering and leaving harbour, a pipe would be made to “assume damage control state (A or B can’t remember), close all X and Y hatches, special sea duty men close up” -- the chance of collision was greater when maneuvering in a harbour.
One pipe I shall always remember was when I first joined HMCS Magnificent. We were fueling at the jetty on the north side of Halifax harbour and taking on Avgas, a very volatile fuel that emitted dangerous fumes during the operation. The pipe came forbidding the making or breaking of all electrical contacts throughout the ship. This was kind of a wake up call for me as very junior member of the crew. That indicated the precautions a warship had to observe to avoid disaster".
Before and after restoration photos of the EMR can be seen here. Select this link to see some of the test instruments used in the EMR.
BRCN 5422 (2) (Image courtesy Jerry Proc)
BRCN or B.R.C.N. = Book of Reference Canadian Navy.
BRCN 5422 (1) Radio Fundamentals Electrical (1950) and BRCN 5422 (2) Radio Fundamentals Electronics (1952) were the key text books used in the training of Communicators and Electronics Technicians for a number of years. The books became affectionately known as "The Green Dragon".
Volume 1 contains basic electrical theory essential to the understanding of radio and radar circuits while Volume 2 deals with electronic circuits fundamental to radio communications, direction finding and radar. Work on the manuscript was originally undertaken by a some 33 instructional officers at HMC Signal School during WWII.
The final texts were produced by HMC Electrical School and HMC Communications School as they were called in the 1950's.
A word about the Electrical Officer from RAdm Bob Welland (Ret'd) - "There were no "Electrical" Officers aboard ships during WW2. Electrics were part of the torpedo department and every destroyer escort had a "Gunner T", a Warrant Officer, who had come up through the ranks. The Engineering Officer was responsible for making electricity, the steam turbine and diesel generators, and the distribution of the electricity was the responsibility of the torpedo department.
The Chief PO Torpedoman was a key figure like the Chief ERA and the Chief Yeoman & Tel. The Frigates and Corvettes did not have a Warrant Officer - a Chief did the job. The "Electrical" Officers came into being when radar was introduced; the Royal Navy started introduced that rank when it became obvious that more "know how" was needed than was available in the torpedo department. Dozens of Canadian electrical engineers were recruited by the Royal Navy starting in 1940 and they served in the battleships and carriers. They were known as Radar Officers but that soon changed to Electrical Officers and by 1950, all Canadian destroyer escorts had an Electrical Officer - who I may say was grossly under employed 90% of his time".
All the engineering drawings for the ship were located in the Engineering Officer's cabin, an area which doubled as an office and living quarters for the Engineering Officer. He was responsible for all things electrical and electronic and thus had custody of the electrical drawings. The electronic/electrical drawings were not stored in the Electrical Officer's cabin, but could have been held in the Electrical Workshop, with electronic (radar, comm, etc) drawings held in the Electronics Maintenance Room.
Jim Dean, VE3IQ, explains the term CANAVMOD (Canadian Naval Modification). "It is the process whereby modifications to existing equipment are engineered, authorized and installed. It is configuration management for individual equipments".
Back to Table of Contents